The Papua New Guinea Australia Alumni Association has over 700 members comprising of aspiring and well established Papua New Guineans who share a common achievement – living and studying in Australia.
As one of the most recognised associations in the country established in 2006, many of our members hold leadership positions within the public sector, private sector and non-government associations.
The Association aims to empower our alumni to:
- contribute to the growth and development of Papua New Guinea and to foster productive relationships between Australia and PNG;
- cultivate and strengthen the leadership ability and opportunities for its members; and,
- create a forum for discussion and action on development challenges facing PNG and the Pacific.
To achieve our aims, PNGAAA offers a number of excellent opportunities and services for members to take advantage of that include:
- Professional Development workshops
- Development & Networking Events
- Leadership Development Programs
- Spaces for development thinking and action (Conference, Think Tank)
- Employment Support
- Access to Small Grants
- Partnerships with PNG, Australian Institutions and the Australia Awards – PNG Facility
Read our Constitution for more detailed information about the organisation.
In November 2006, in a historic moment at the inaugural Papua New Guinea – Australia Alumni Conference in Port Moresby, over 300 former students of Institutions in Australia passed a resolution to create an Alumni body that would provide ongoing support to Papua New Guineans who have studied in Australia, and foster a dialogue of growth and development between the countries.
Since the initial meeting, the association has steadily grown, with membership now over 700 and local chapters established in seven (7) provinces; Lae, Goroka, Madang, Manus, Kokopo, Enga and the Autonomous Region of Bougainville (ARoB).